Health Services FAQ

Health Services Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How often does a student need a physical examination?

A: Each incoming freshman needs to submit a current (within a year of the first day of school) physical examination and certification of required immunizations by the first day of school. Students do not need a physical exam unless they participate in an athletic activity.

Q: Do transfer students need a physical examination?

A: If a student transfers to Belleville Township High School District 201 from another Illinois school, a copy of his or her physical examination from that school is usually sufficient. Students who transfer from another state or country must have a physical examination and up-to-date immunizations within 30 days of the registration date.

Q: What does a student do if he is unable to attend PE for one to three days?

A: A parent should write a note. The student will give the note to the PE teacher. The PE teacher will send the student to Health Services. Depending on the circumstances, the student will participate as able, write a Health related report for PE, or rest in Health Services if injury severity dictates it.

Q: What does a student do if he cannot participate in PE for more than three days but less than three weeks?

A: A physician's note is required to excuse a student from PE for more than three days. Please bring the note to Health Services.

Q: What if a student has an injury or illness that requires exemption from PE for an extended period of time?

A: If a student cannot attend PE for three weeks or more, he should bring a physician's note to Health Services to initiate the process. A meeting between the student, the counselor and the nurse will then take place to determine the best option for the student.

Q: If a student is injured and cannot use the stairs, what accommodations are available?

A: Health Services will issue an elevator pass for West students and an "early-late pass". This pass will allow the student to leave class a few minutes early or be excused for being late.

Q: If a student becomes ill or injured during the school day, what does he do?

A: The student should come to Health Services for an assessment and possible treatment. If a student is too ill to stay in school, a parent or emergency contact (if parent is unavailable) will be notified.

Q: What is the school's medication policy?

A: Please refer to Medication Guidelines section.

Q: What is the policy for resting in Health Services?

A: If a rest will help a student stay in school, a rest may be allowed, but only if the student has a pass from a current class teacher and is not missing a test or presentation. As a general rule, students may not rest for a full academic period.

Q: How may I obtain a copy of my student's health record? Or, as a former student, how may I obtain a copy of my health record?

A: Health Services maintains files on current students and will make a copy of the health record. Former students need to call Health Services, 222.7649 for West 222-3735 East to obtain a health record copy.